Frequently Asked Questions
- Process for interior?
- Process for exterior?
- What prep do I need to complete before the crew arrives?
- What products does My Painter typically use or recommend?
- What sheen/finish to choose?
- What forms of payment do you accept?
- How should I prepare for my estimate?
- When should I expect to receive the written estimate after my estimate appointment?
- Do you offer both residential and commercial painting services?
- How do I request an estimate?
- Can you separate the proposal into different line items, sections or project phases?
1. What is the process for interior painting?
- First, we move all furniture to the center of the room or away from the walls in an area that makes sense for the space. We also remove any large art or décor items from walls.
- We then cover all furniture and flooring with drop cloths to protect them from paint spills, spatter or drips.
- Next, we begin prepping the walls for paint application by repairing any cracks, holes and nail pops.
- When doing a full interior paint job, we begin with the ceilings and trim, and finish with the walls. This allows us to overlap and “cut in” with the paint. Cutting in is a process that results in the cleanest possible lines and eliminates any visible drips.
2. What is the process for exterior painting?
- First, we move any objects (flower pots, garden hoses, patio furniture, tools, toys, etc.) that are adjacent to the work site. This allows for the accessibility of ladders and other large equipment, but it also allows us to keep these objects safe.
- Power washing is needed, we do this before we begin the painting process.
- After any necessary areas are power washed, we lay drop cloths and plastic where needed.
- Next, we begin scraping any loose paint in order to create a smooth surface. Once all areas are cleaned and smoothed, we prime any bare areas.
- Finally, we complete the project by painting the exterior surfaces with the recommended number of coats for ultimate protection and durability.
- Our crew will do a final clean up to remove all plastic and drop cloths, clean up any drips, and remove all equipment and debris from your home and yard.
3. What do I need to do to prep before your crew arrives?
- For interior jobs, move all small, fragile objects out of the room to a safe location. You may also move any small wall hangings or picture frames ahead of time. For exterior jobs, move any small objects on or near the outside of the home or building.
- Our crew will move and cover any large or heavy objects such as furniture, art or large house plants inside, and any patio furniture or large planters/pots outside.
- The most important thing our happy customers should do beforehand is to finalize paint color selections in advance. This ensures that we can have the product ordered, mixed and ready to go as soon as your project begins.
- Sit back and relax while our capable crew takes care of the rest!
4. What products does My Painter typically use or recommend?
We work closely with several local suppliers, most commonly Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams vendors. However, we are always happy to accommodate our customers’ product preferences, and can use whichever brand of paint you prefer. We can also recommend a variety of zero-VOC and low-VOC paints to eliminate fumes and toxicity in your home. We are happy to provide information on the various product lines each brand makes, as well as make recommendations for the best products for every type of project. Different surfaces call for different kinds of paint. Whether your project entails drywall, plaster, wood, vinyl, brick, concrete, metal, etc., we have experience with every type of surface and can help you make the right decision for the best adhesion, coverage and protection possible!
5. What sheen or finish should I choose?
- There are several finishes (also often called “sheen”) to choose from. Many popular and high quality product lines offer paint in Flat, Matte, Eggshell, Satin, Semi-gloss, and High-gloss finishes.
- Flat is easy to touch up and has no sheen. This finish is good for hiding flaws on your drywall or plaster. However, it is not recommended in rooms with high levels of moisture, mess or traffic, as it is not as easy to wipe clean as the higher sheen finishes.
- Matte is a step up from a flat finish and has a very light sheen. This product is good for creating a more durable paint job than flat paint, without too much of a glossy finish. It will still do a great job camouflaging imperfections in your drywall or plaster.
- Eggshell has a medium sheen. This finish is excellent for general living areas and bedrooms in homes with children and/or pets because it wipes clean with ease.
- Satin has a slightly higher sheen than eggshell and is more water and stain resistant. For this reason, we highly recommend using paint in a satin finish for kitchens and bathrooms. It is also perfectly suitable for trim, although the gloss finishes are more commonly chosen for trim work.
- Semi-gloss is also good for kitchens and bathrooms, especially on walls that are smoother and more even with fewer flaws. The high sheen of a gloss finish will make any imperfections more noticeable. However, semi-gloss has excellent water resistance, is durable, and wipes clean extremely easily. Semi-gloss is also a popular and highly recommended choice for painting trim such as baseboards, crown molding, chair rails and wainscoting. Its durability and easy-cleaning also make it a good choice for cabinets.
- High-gloss is most commonly used for painting trim, and its high sheen can add a very high-end touch to the appearance of any room. High-gloss is extremely moisture resistant, durable and easy to wipe clean.
- No matter which finish you choose, we always recommend using a high quality line of paint, as it will wear better over time and provide you with superior coverage, adhesion and durability.
6. What forms of payment do you accept?
We accept cash, check, and most major credit cards. On credit card transactions, a 3.5-4% processing fee will be added to the final invoice. We do not accept American Express.
7. How should I prepare for my estimate appointment?
- If all decision makers are available to be present at the estimate, this is ideal. If this is not feasible, that’s okay too! We understand that our customers have busy work and family schedules. We simply recommend that prior to your estimate, you discuss and agree upon all work to be done in order to avoid delays caused by miscommunication.
- Be sure to let us know if there was anything that left you particularly satisfied or unsatisfied with your last paint job. We will always strive to meet and exceed your expectations, and prevent any disruptive or disappointing issues.
- Identify your budget! Painting your home or property is an important investment, and we want to earn your business. We can tailor our recommendations and proposals to fit your needs and work within your budget.
- If you are able to make your color selections ahead of time, great! If you are undecided on color choices or finishes at the time of your estimate appointment, feel free to prepare any questions you may have about this beforehand, and we will be happy to discuss it with you and help you make the right decision to transform your home exactly the way you want! We also offer COLOR CONSULTING SERVICES.
- When we schedule your estimate appointment, plan to allow enough time for us to complete our evaluation of your project and go over any questions you may have at that time. We typically complete estimate appointments in under 30 minutes, but if you have a particularly large job or a lot of questions, we want to be sure to address all of your needs and concerns, no matter how long it takes! Our number one priority is to make sure you are satisfied with our work from beginning to end, and we are happy to provide guidance and information throughout the process. Our customers have come to trust our expertise!
8. When should I expect to receive the written proposal after my estimate appointment?
Upon completion of our evaluation at your scheduled estimate appointment, we can typically send your written proposal within 24 hours. Proposals for larger jobs may take 2-3 days to complete, but if you are on a tight timeline, just let us know and we will make sure to get your written proposal completed within your deadline. Our hard working team is happy to accommodate our customers’ schedules and deadlines in any way possible.
9. Do you offer both residential and commercial painting services?
Yes, we offer both residential and commercial painting year-round. We can provide exterior and interior painting on all types of buildings, including new construction, single-family homes or multi-family units, apartment complexes, condos, office spaces and more!
10. How do I request an estimate?
There are several ways you can request an estimate for your upcoming painting project. The easiest way is to submit a request through the form on our website. You may also email us at email@example.com or call us directly at 571-297-3345.
11. Can you separate the proposal into different line items, sections or project phases?
Absolutely! We realize our clients all have different priorities, budgets and timelines, and we are glad to help however we can to complete your project in a way that best suits your particular needs, whether all at once, or in several project phases. We frequently provide proposals that include a breakdown for completing the scope of work in various phases, or even various different scopes of work so that you may compare costs and make the best decision for exactly which aspects of your project you are ready to pursue.